Why Join NATS?
- Scope: NATS is the largest association of teachers of singing in the world, with members in more than twenty-five countries.
- Education: Members have access to lifelong learning experiences such as master classes, workshops, and conferences, held at the district, regional, and national levels.
- Journal of Singing: NATS members receive the Journal of Singing as a benefit of membership. Published five times annually, this scholarly journal features articles on all aspects of singing and the teaching of singing, written by distinguished scholars from around the world.
- Student Auditions: One of the benefits widely enjoyed by NATS members is the privilege of taking students to annual state and regional auditions, where they may sing for a panel of teachers and receive positive comments and feedback on their work as singers and performers.
- Employment Opportunities: Members have access to an online database of positions currently available at colleges and universities across the United States and Canada. In addition, members may place their contact information on the Voluntary Teacher database, accessed regularly by students seeking private voice teachers in their areas.
- Networking: NATS has over 6,500 members, many of whom are faculty at colleges and universities worldwide. Most NATS teachers are active in performance as well, and have invaluable contacts in the professional worlds of both singing and teaching. Members may access contact information for any other members through the online directory.
- Support for Young/New Teachers of Singing: NATS recognizes an ongoing commitment to support and encourage the development of teachers of singing who are beginning their careers. To that end, qualified members may apply for the NATS Intern Program (an intensive summer course wherein the recipient teaches students under the direction of several master teachers), the EMERGING LEADER AWARD (a grant to underwrite the cost of attendance to one of the NATS national conferences) and/or the INDEPENDENT TEACHER FELLOWSHIP (an award of complimentary registration to a NATS national conference). NATS Chats is an interactive discussion group online that many members find invaluable as a resource.
Finally, those who join NATS find themselves in a community of friends and colleagues who are all seeking the same goal: excellence in teaching and singing, both for themselves and their students.